Blind Spots

I delivered the same message to each campus beginning 3 weeks ago at Centreville. My focus was on “Leading by Example” and I referred to a Bible verse, which I realized was the wrong reference after the fact. The reference provided in each sermon was Numbers 22 when referencing Solomon’s sin, which he was apparently unaware of. I said that God despised the high places created for false gods and had commanded the Israelites to tear them down. I said that Solomon offered God his sacrifice on one of the high places. The correct reference is Numbers 33.52: “Drive out all the inhabitants in the land before you. Destroy all their carved images and their cast idols, and demolish all their high places.” See 1 Kings 3.4.

Now if you want to read a good Old Testament story you really should read Numbers 22. It’s the story of Balaam’s donkey – a talking donkey no less.

We all know another word that refers to a donkey. Frankly this is kind of how I feel when I do these kinds of things. So please accept my apology if you were looking for the reference in Numbers 22. I hope you had a good laugh and accept that our mistakes can make a “donkey” out of all of us.

Creed Branson, Executive Minister

0 comments:

Post a Comment